Benefits of Maintaining Your System
Like any system constantly in use, water heaters occasionally require maintenance. The most obvious benefit of performing routine maintenance on your water heater is that it will ensure a long life before a replacement is needed. In addition, your water heater system will require fewer repairs, saving you $100s over time.
Evans Heating & Cooling has served Niagara area families for over 50 years, and we look forward to serviung you. Protect your water heater investment today by calling us at (905) 354-4424 to schedule a routine maintenance check up for your water heater system.
To remove the buildup, experts typically advise draining and flushing your water heater at least once a year. This makes sure that your tank water heater is supplying your home with the most hot water possible.
Here are some things a homeowner can do to take care of their water heater:
- The thermostat should be set at 120 degrees. For every 10 degrees you lower the temperature, you'll save up to 5% on energy costs and lessen the chance of scalding.
- Unless the manual specifically instructs otherwise, keep a 2 foot clearance all around the appliance.
- To remove sediment and debris, drain about a quarter of the tank a few times annually. Connect a garden hose to the drain valve, turn off the cold water supply, and then run water into a bucket until it is clear. If the water is still cloudy, drain the tank once more and briefly open the water supply valve to stir up any leftover sediment.
Your water heater may corrode more rapidly if it isn't flushed frequently. The pressure and relief valve may also become clogged or blocked by the sediment (which helps keep your water heater from exploding).
The Cost of Skipping Water Heater Maintenance
Annual water heater maintenace can add up to five years to the life of your unit. Here’s how:
- A clean tank has more room for hot water. One of the most common issues with improperly maintained systems is a lack of capacity for hot water. If your water heater is not properly maintained, it will develop sediment buildup which can quite literally reduce the available space for usable hot water in the tank. This sediment also cause corrosion over time which can cause your water heater tank to leak.
- Regular maintenance improves energy efficiency. Not only does maintaining your water heater maximize its heating capacity, it also ensures maximum energy efficiency within the system. This means that you will have lower costs of operation, as a well-tuned water heater will use less fuel—either gas or electric—in order to heat the water needed for your home. This saves you money in the long run.
- A well-maintained water heater doesn’t need repairs. When you keep your water heater in tip-top shape, it doesn’t break down. By having your water heater flushed and tuned up each year, you can prevent major problems and their associated repair costs. Further, maintenance will prevent the formation of catastrophic leaks, saving you from a premature water heater replacement.